Reasons for Cracked Skin During Winters
People who normally straggle from dry skin in summer session face difficulty managing their skin during winters, which then turns extremely dry and cracked.
That’s not only the problem, skin turns dry. Cracked skin makes one feel pain and uncomfortable because of the skin’s protective top layer barrier losing its grip to safeguard which causes the skin on our hands, feet, or heels to dry. We often are worried about our health, and we protect it from any diseases by trying to be as active during winter as it is during summers.
But usually we forget to be careful towards of our skin health, mainly during winters when the cold air lacks moisture and the dry air leads to dryness on different parts of the body. over the dry area especially cracked skin, and after that it leads to bleeding, itching or flakiness.
The more one is exposed to open air dry air, the more you will feel dry skin for which they would want to find a solution. Normally, people who struggle from cracked skin during the winter months find it difficult or lazy to apply any skincare product or contact any house cleaning product.
You must be aware from these cracked skin condition during the winters could be any medical condition too which you are unknown about; hence below are some of the most important reasons why Skin Cracked During Winters:
Causes of Cracked Skin During Winters
Some reasons that can lead to the development of cracked skin during winters could be:
Dry skin is one main reason for cracked skin during the winter season most of the time. During the winters, outside air lacks humidity and its dryness causes the skin to become cracked. It then starts to bleed or flaky and nasty in appearance.
There could also start to be cracked lips due to the cold and dry air, and lips are the first and most sensitive area affected during the winters. dermatologist experts have always said not to pick or lick your lips when they are cracked, as it only makes your lips condition worse.
Another Reason is Eczema
Eczema is one reason your skin can feel extremely dry, Mainly during the winter when the dry air lacks moisture. People with an initial skin condition like eczema do always experience itchiness and dryness on their skin. Due to cold weather conditions or any particular use of a skincare product, find the skin surface cracked, Sometimes it makes red to your skin.
Eczema becomes protective when the skin layer allows too much moisture to leave the skin, because the skin cells lack of moisture. What winter time does to these cells is shrink them even more due to not enough moisture to receive from outside, which might be possible during the summer season.
Not to keep scratching the Cracked or affected area at this point as the rash only becomes worse and feels very discomforting.
Stay Warm and Use of Indoor Methods
Yes! We are likely to sit in front of heaters during winters because that is the only way we Stay Warm and some comfort from the otherwise cold temperatures outside. We immediately start to feel frizzy inside our homes if we are sitting ideally without a heating Method in front of us.
But what we do not realize is all these heating Methods or devices affect our skin more than we can imagine. Sitting more in front of heaters could lead to dry skin because the dry air inside our houses is drying our skin and the mucous membrane, which makes layers of various cavities of the organ in our body.
The drying of the membrane leads to crapped lips or chapped lips too. Different parts of the body, such as feet or hands, seem drier and flakier, also, in this case.
Consistent Hand Washing
During the COVID-19 pandemic, we have been advised to sanitize and wash our hands constantly to prevent the infection from contacting us. This habit of hand sanitizing and using sanitizer and washing makes the hand rough and drier than usual.
The consistent use of higher amounts of alcohol from hand sanitizers, soap, and water lessens the natural oils of the skin and the dry air of the winter session causes the hands, or even the feel from regular washing, to go dry and cracked, which even further leads to bleeding.
Long Hot Water Showers
Hot water showers are the best rescue in the winter session, Mainly when we come from outside, freezy weather outside. No matter how good the hot water seems to us, it can strip your skin from all of its natural skin oil causing it to appear drier and flaky.
The hot water on our seeks seeps inside, and the cold dry air we have been exposed to in the outer atmosphere in combination helps make the body dry and itchy.
Never Keep In Mind To Hydrated
During winters we do not feel very thirsty than summers when we are drenching in sweat and lose water level from our body. But we also lose water from our skin during winters and recover for that loss; we must drink a lot of water even in winters as well use Skin hydration product Hyaluronic + PGA 02%.
People who probably stay home and are exposed to heat from heaters should consume more water. Our body is made up of 70 % of water, and it helps keep the skin cells soft and plumpy. With less water consumption during winters, our skin cells do not get that moisture and become drier and begin cracking.
How to Prevent dry or cracked skin during winters?
Vandyke sharing some tips and tricks so that you can try during winters session to prevent your skin from cracked and drying losing its moisture, which could end up cracks on your skin.
Use best skincare for winters
- If you have eczema flare-ups, go for recommended skincare Products from the doctors who could help you relieve scratching, consistent itching, and dry skin. Use Best moisturizers for winters 10% Vitamin B5 moisturizer, 2% Salicylic Face Cleanser, Marula Oil 05% moisturizer, One of the most important is Hydrated your skin by Hyaluronic + PGA 02%
- In case of an existing skin condition like eczema, you should be mindful of your woollen clothes’ quality not to cause your skin to feel irritated or itchy. Do not wear something plastic or type that feel more like less comfortable on the skin.
Do not apply mat or long-wear lipstick
- Do not directly apply mat or long-wear lipstick on your lips because the dehydration will appear on lips first, and even if you do, remember to apply lip balm first below the liquid lipstick.
Drink more liquid
- fluids during winter and avoid caffeinated drinks that could cause loss of water even more.
- Try looking for lotions or moisturizers with Aqua, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract, Squalane, Glycerin, Xylitylglucoside, Anhydroxylitol, Xylitol, Sodium Cocoyl Aminoacids, Sarcosine, Potassium Aspartate, Magnesium Aspartate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Panthenol, Pentylene Glycol, Avena Sativa (Oat Kernel) Flour, Sodium Polyglutamate, Undecane, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Tocopherol Acetate, Arginine, Glycine, Alanine, Histidine, Sodium Lactate, Arachidyl Alcohol, Behenyl Alcohol, Arachidyl Glucoside, Tridecane, Aluminium Starch Octenylsuccinate, Trehalose, Polyacrylate Crosspolymer-6, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Citric Acid, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate. Also, keep in mind to apply moisturizer on your hands’ before washing or sanitizing your hand.
- Try to take shower in warm water rather than using hot water. Do not go for long baths and pat with a dry and soft towel but not wet ones.
- Apply enough moisturizer to your hands and feet, which are not harsh on your skin; instead, enrich your skin with essential oils.
In case of a severe infection due to cracked skin, meet dermatologist as soon as possible to identify any medical condition that may be causing the skin to dry intensively, leading to bleeding, pain, or even swelling.